Skip to main content

Old News


I get a newspaper delivered to my classroom twice each week so my kids can participate in current events if I so choose. I sat down and read the paper the other day after my kids left to take a breather and was reminded why I hate the news. In a four minute period, I dwelt on the fact that Luna (our ridiculous superintendent) has decided that computers are more valuable learning motivators that 800 teachers in our state (lots of hope for next year!), Obama feels that defending marriage between a man and a woman is unconstitutional and impossible to defend, and some crazy lunatic polygamous man is using 12-year old girls to satisfy his creepy sexual desires. Spending this short amount of time dwelling on my threatened employment and the wickedness of our country made me panic a little. While I like to think that I am an optimistic and faithful person, it is scary sometimes to face issues like these. What do I do if they decide to cut me next year? Or worse, what if they keep me, but add to my workload, move me to 5th grade, cut my salary, and increase my class size? I really don't know what's worse. I think I would maybe prefer unemployment. :) And how do you fight against political and social ills that seem so impossible to put a face on?

Sister Beck came and spoke at the BYU-Idaho Center yesterday and did a Q&A with the sisters. One sister asked about how to cope with the increasing evil in the world and how to prepare our hearts and our homes for the second coming of Jesus Christ. I thought her response was particularly insightful and aimed right at my current concerns.

She quoted Timothy, Matthew, and Alma who all prophesied of wickedness and chaos that would ensnare the generations of the last day. Each of these prophets told us that the latter-days would be a perilous time and they labeled very specific behaviors that we are seeing all around us now.

2 Timothy 3
Paul describes the apostasy and perilous times of the last days—The scriptures guide man to salvation.

1. This know also, that in the last days perilous times shall come.
2. For men shall be lovers of their own selves, covetous, boasters, proud, blasphemers, disobedient to parents, unthankful, unholy,
3. Without natural affection, trucebreakers, false accusers, incontinent, fierce, despisers of those that are good,
4. Traitors, heady, highminded, lovers of pleasures more than lovers of God;
5. Having a form of godliness, but denying the power thereof: from such turn away.
6. For of this sort are they which creep into houses, and lead captive silly women laden with sins, led away with divers lusts,
7. Ever learning, and never able to come to the knowledge of the truth.

And he gives us some advice for such a time:

10. But thou hast fully known my doctrine, manner of life, purpose, faith, longsuffering, charity, patience,
11. Persecutions, afflictions, which came unto me at Antioch, at Iconium, at Lystra; what persecutions I endured: but out of them all the Lord delivered me.
12. Yea, and all that will live godly in Christ Jesus shall suffer persecution.
13. But evil men and seducers shall wax worse and worse, deceiving, and being deceived.

So what do we do?

14. But continue thou in the things which thou hast learned and hast been assured of, knowing of whom thou hast learned them;
15. And that from a child thou hast known the holy scriptures, which are able to make thee wise unto salvation through faith which is in Christ Jesus.

(Will my children be able to "know the holy scriptures and make others wise unto salvation?)

16. All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:
17. That the man of God may be perfect, throughly furnished unto all good works.

Here we see this idea of becoming perfect that I have been thinking about lately repeated yet again. Even though the latter-days are a wicked and perilous time, we are supposed to continue with faith being assured that we already knew these things would happen. God gave us scripture about the last days to warn us so that when newspapers started to make us panic, we would be able to remember that this time was foreseen and we should not fear. God knew this time would be as bad as it is. He is not making any excuses for it. He warned us. He doesn't care what issues we have with the world right now. He will not excuse us for being apathetic or for feeling entitled or for allowing evil to enter our homes. He expects more of us and gave us the tools to prepare. He only cares about our covenants and the progress we make each day toward perfection.

Matthew's insight:
6. And ye shall hear of wars and rumors of wars (WWI, WWII, Vietnam, Iraq...): see that ye be not troubled: for all these things must come to pass, but the end is not yet.
7. For nation shall rise against nation, and kingdom against kingdom: and there shall be famines, and pestilences, and earthquakes (Chile, Haiti...), in divers places.
8. All these are the beginning of sorrows.

This is just the beginning. We still have a long way to go. We cannot lose the faith now. It is our job to recognize these signs and give hope to those we meet.

Alma teaches about the order of Nehor, which we see constantly today. Korihor stirs up the people to believe that there is no harm in sin, that there can be no Christ, that every man should take advantage of the day and do as he wishes.

With all of these ideas floating around in my head, I have come to two conclusions:

1. It is my responsibility to inspire hope, never fear, in every person, in every situation.

2. God will always provide a way to accomplish his work and his glory through his righteous servants among whom I can only hope to be numbered if I am faithful to the covenants I have made.

The world may be crazy and it may be a little intimidating at times, but this was always the plan. It is just a matter of staying on the right team. We already know who wins in the end. This is not breaking news or even original. These issues have been problems since the beginning of time. It's old news, that I can put aside and continue with what I know "leadeth to do good."

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Confessions of an Unlikely Teacher

Most of the choices I have had to make in my life have been between right and wrong, or a selection of one option among many.  I haven't often been required to make choices of elimination where I have two great things, but must sacrifice one in order to keep the other.   When I made the decision to apply to BYU, it was an easy choice.  I could choose any university I wanted, but that was the only one I had interest in.  I had always wanted to go there.  My best friends all wanted to go there.  I applied early.  I was accepted.  It was great.  I was anxious of course to know whether I would get in or not, but I never had to act on my back-up plans.   My choice to go on a mission was a little more tricky, but still obvious.  I had wanted to serve a mission from the time I was 15, and although other opportunities presented themselves along the way, like school and boys, when the time came, there wasn't much to think about.  I had always known it was a good choice to mak

Music

" We get nearer to the Lord through music than perhaps through any other thing except prayer." -J. Reuben Clark, 1936 I believe that is true.  The majority of my most significant life events, especially those that have increased my testimony, have had something to do with music.  Take a peek at some of my favorites. Perfect Love I Know That My Redeemer Lives O Come, O Come, Emmanuel Nearer My God to Thee Nessun Dorma Don't Give Up Hourglass Come Thou Fount As I Am My Kindness Shall Not Depart From Thee He (II) Rob Gardner A Little More Like Thee

"I call redo!"

Anytime we made mistakes playing games or doing anything really, as little kids (especially playing 4-square), we would yell, "I call redo!"  This was the all-inclusive, error-erasing phrase that could never be contested, and always allowed one the chance to try again.  You could use this phrase in many circumstances: when you messed up yourself, or when others messed up in a way that gave you a disadvantage.  Either way, it was a saving grace throughout my childhood. Well, today, I call redo. Earlier this week, I posted about my thoughts on the "Wear pants to church" controversy that people were talking about all over Facebook and in the news.  I had one friend who helped me to see that I hadn't really considered all sides of the story.  I am grateful for the time she took to point out some of my unjust and partly ignorant thinking. Just because someone participated in, or even initiated this event did not mean that she was demanding to be given the Pries