Skip to main content

Vamos al Campo



I believe in divine guidance. I believe that I was led on the longest journey of my life thus far to David. I do not think anything happen merely by chance when we seek to follow the spirit. I was guided to go on a mission which gave me irreplaceable experiences and opportunities and helped me to create memories and relationships which will last forever. It was not coincidental that my favorite person from Spain came home and introduced me to David. Missions really do change your life! I believe that I was led to my current job that pushes me every day to be better, to be more patient and full of charity, to be creative and kind. It was amazing how everything just fell into place. When things are guided by God, they magically work out...and usually better than you expect! As I started making an enormous list of schools last year which I might apply to, I had a tiny feeling of excitement when I looked at the Henry's Fork Elementary website. A fleeting, passing moment. I remember drawing a star by that one as I wrote the address down. It is no mistake or bit of luck that I was able to get a job there. I believe that David and I were inspired to apply to the DREAM project this summer which we were just accepted to. We had no idea how we would be able to pay for such an excursion, but we prayed about it and felt that it would work out somehow. Through a small amount of saving on our part and two rather large financial surprises, we hit 98% of our original savings goal today! The Lord blesses us with miracles as often as we will look for them. If we had not had a specific goal in mind, a Christmas bonus may have appeared to be simply that: a Christmas bonus. But with a clear goal set, we are able to see a miracle and the means to an end we could not realize on our own. It is amazing how things fall into place when they are the Lord's will. It pays to work with the guy who has all the connections!

Elder Eyring wrote about the importance of recording our special experiences so that we can remember them, share them, and most importantly, recognize what the Lord has done for us. He said,

"I wrote down a few lines every day for years. I never missed a day no matter how tired I was or how early I would have to start the next day. Before I would write, I would ponder this question: “Have I seen the hand of God reaching out to touch us or our children or our family today?” As I kept at it, something began to happen. As I would cast my mind over the day, I would see evidence of what God had done for one of us that I had not recognized in the busy moments of the day. As that happened, and it happened often, I realized that trying to remember had allowed God to show me what He had done."

"More than gratitude began to grow in my heart. Testimony grew. I became ever more certain that our Heavenly Father hears and answers prayers. I felt more gratitude for the softening and refining that come because of the Atonement of the Savior Jesus Christ. And I grew more confident that the Holy Ghost can bring all things to our remembrance—even things we did not notice or pay attention to when they happened."

I want to be able to look back on these experiences and remember them as the miracles that they truly are. He continues by urging us to remember God so that we do not stray or become lost in such a wicked world:

"That is why forgetting God has been such a persistent problem among His children since the world began. Think of the times of Moses, when God provided manna and in miraculous and visible ways led and protected His children. Still, the prophet warned the people who had been so blessed, as prophets always have warned and always will: “Take heed to thyself, and keep thy soul diligently, lest thou forget the things which thine eyes have seen, and lest they depart from thy heart all the days of thy life.”

We covenant to "Remember Him" as we partake of the Sacrament each week, and this is only possible if we have the Holy Ghost to be with us. His job is to help us remember. But we must do our part. We have to keep the commandments for Him to dwell with us each day.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Confessions of an Unlikely Teacher

Most of the choices I have had to make in my life have been between right and wrong, or a selection of one option among many.  I haven't often been required to make choices of elimination where I have two great things, but must sacrifice one in order to keep the other.   When I made the decision to apply to BYU, it was an easy choice.  I could choose any university I wanted, but that was the only one I had interest in.  I had always wanted to go there.  My best friends all wanted to go there.  I applied early.  I was accepted.  It was great.  I was anxious of course to know whether I would get in or not, but I never had to act on my back-up plans.   My choice to go on a mission was a little more tricky, but still obvious.  I had wanted to serve a mission from the time I was 15, and although other opportunities presented themselves along the way, like school and boys, when the time came, there wasn't much to think about.  I had always known it was a good choice to mak

Music

" We get nearer to the Lord through music than perhaps through any other thing except prayer." -J. Reuben Clark, 1936 I believe that is true.  The majority of my most significant life events, especially those that have increased my testimony, have had something to do with music.  Take a peek at some of my favorites. Perfect Love I Know That My Redeemer Lives O Come, O Come, Emmanuel Nearer My God to Thee Nessun Dorma Don't Give Up Hourglass Come Thou Fount As I Am My Kindness Shall Not Depart From Thee He (II) Rob Gardner A Little More Like Thee

"I call redo!"

Anytime we made mistakes playing games or doing anything really, as little kids (especially playing 4-square), we would yell, "I call redo!"  This was the all-inclusive, error-erasing phrase that could never be contested, and always allowed one the chance to try again.  You could use this phrase in many circumstances: when you messed up yourself, or when others messed up in a way that gave you a disadvantage.  Either way, it was a saving grace throughout my childhood. Well, today, I call redo. Earlier this week, I posted about my thoughts on the "Wear pants to church" controversy that people were talking about all over Facebook and in the news.  I had one friend who helped me to see that I hadn't really considered all sides of the story.  I am grateful for the time she took to point out some of my unjust and partly ignorant thinking. Just because someone participated in, or even initiated this event did not mean that she was demanding to be given the Pries