Skip to main content

Love

David was responsible for conducting a sacrament meeting at the retirement home across the street from us this morning. I really think they have it figured out. Church is about thirty-five minutes, most of which is spent singing. The Sacrament is the key focus and the talks are short and sweet. I have been strengthened both times we have gone and felt the spirit as well. I was particularly impressed this morning by Lizzy, one of the adorable girls in my Sunday School class. She is such a put together person. She works at the retirement home a few times each week on top of everything else she has going on in her busy life. I was touched as I watched her help each elderly person who needed assistance and spread the light that she emanates constantly. It was tender to see such love and care expressed through such simple gestures as holding a little cup to the mouth of a frail woman or gently waking each who had fallen asleep so they could participate in such an important weekly moment. I posted a poem called, "I'd Rather See a Sermon" a few days ago, and today, as I sat in church, I did.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Confessions of an Unlikely Teacher

Most of the choices I have had to make in my life have been between right and wrong, or a selection of one option among many.  I haven't often been required to make choices of elimination where I have two great things, but must sacrifice one in order to keep the other.   When I made the decision to apply to BYU, it was an easy choice.  I could choose any university I wanted, but that was the only one I had interest in.  I had always wanted to go there.  My best friends all wanted to go there.  I applied early.  I was accepted.  It was great.  I was anxious of course to know whether I would get in or not, but I never had to act on my back-up plans.   My choice to go on a mission was a little more tricky, but still obvious.  I had wanted to serve a mission from the time I was 15, and although other opportunities presented themselves along the way, like school and boys, when the time came, there wasn't much to think about.  I had always known it was a good choice to mak

Music

" We get nearer to the Lord through music than perhaps through any other thing except prayer." -J. Reuben Clark, 1936 I believe that is true.  The majority of my most significant life events, especially those that have increased my testimony, have had something to do with music.  Take a peek at some of my favorites. Perfect Love I Know That My Redeemer Lives O Come, O Come, Emmanuel Nearer My God to Thee Nessun Dorma Don't Give Up Hourglass Come Thou Fount As I Am My Kindness Shall Not Depart From Thee He (II) Rob Gardner A Little More Like Thee

Spinning

I spend two nights each week in a class on one of these bad boys. During tonight's class, my mind was wandering from one mental tangent to another.  I was thinking about the events of the day, the people I had met, the articles and blogs I had read.  I was focused and working hard physically, but my mind was free to roam at will.  As I looked around at the other people in the class, I saw determination, fear, awkward ambition, insecurity, pride, energy, desperation, focus, and many other emotions.  Most nights I tend to compare myself to the two class members on either side of me.  I watch their RPMs sneakily out of the corner of my eye, and try to always stay a few higher.  I peek at the miles they have traveled and try to beat them.  Hopefully you're not one of my spin bike stalk-ees. :)      Toward the end of the workout, our instructor has us do intervals.  We start with a 3 minute interval giving it all we've got with a 1 minute recover.  Then the times decreas