Skip to main content

Look Up


Today I was impressed by a statement made by Carl B. Cook as I read his recent conference address.  He spoke of a particularly overwhelming day he had in which he was staring blankly at the floor of the elevator he was on, when President Monson entered and somewhat humorously encouraged him that it was better to look up.

"Experience" Brother Cook says, "has taught me that if we, like President Monson, exercise our faith and look to God for help, we will not be overwhelmed with the burdens of life.  We will not feel incapable of doing what we are called to do or need to do.  We will be strengthened, and our lives will be filled with peace and joy.  We will come to realize that most of what we worry about is not of eternal significance--and if it is, the Lord will help us.  But we must have the faith to look up and the courage to follow his direction."


He goes on to talk about our difficulty in consistently looking up in life.  He asks, "Why is it a challenge to consistently look up in our lives?  Perhaps we lack the faith that such a simple act {as looking up to our Father in Heaven} can solve our problems."

Maybe we become so focused on the problems that lie in front of us, that we forget the beauty that is to be found above us.  Perhaps we don't expect to see anything when we do so, like the children of Israel who refused to look at the brass serpent raised by Moses to be healed.
I find myself neglecting to look up because I feel insignificant or irrelevant.  I try to tackle the world by myself because I often feel like the tasks I am attempting couldn't possibly matter to Him.  Either that, or I feel uselessly prideful and assume that I can do everything on my own.  I don't need help. Sometimes, I secretly acknowledge that whatever I am striving to achieve actually is silly or vain, but I continue with my marvelous plan because I have become so convinced that I must know better.  All three scenarios bring a sense of overwhelming defeat and discouragement.

It is one of the great challenges of life, to continually look up, when everything around us demands our constant attention, often to our detriment.  In 2 Nephi, Jacob teaches his people of the long and trying history of their people and prophesies of many things to come.  After emphasizing the captivity that their people had experienced and the miracle it is that God has brought them to a land of liberty, he invites them to look up to God and remember that he controls all and loves them.

"And now, my beloved brethren, seeing that our merciful God has given us so great knowledge concerning these things, let us remember Him, and lay aside our sins, and not hang down our heads, for we are not cast off; nevertheless, we have been driven out of the land of our inheritance; but we have been led to a better land..."   

Just like the people who looked to Jacob as their prophet, we too have been taught how merciful the Lord is.  As we look up to Him for strength and peace, and avoid carrying the unbearable burden of sin, it is impossible to feel weighed down.  As Elder Uchtdorf reminded us at the last Relief Society broadcast, God has not forgotten us.  He loves us and wants us to be happy.

"You are not forgotten.  Sisters, wherever you are, whatever your circumstances may be, you are not forgotten.  No matter how dark you days may seem, no matter how insignificant you may feel, no matter how overshadowed you think you may be, your Heavenly Father has not forgotten you.  In fact, He loves you with an infinite love."

The things I spend my time worrying about are not small or insignificant to the Lord.  While I probably shouldn't stress so much, these things are important to Him because they are important to me.  As I learn to look up more often however, I will recognize the things that are of eternal importance.  Those things that are not as important will find their place and time, and that which really matters will always receive divine guidance and help.

Like the people in the Book of Mormon listening to Jacob where led to a new land, I know that I know that Lord always has something better in store when we choose to trust Him.  We may be surprised.  Things may not turn out at all as we had envisioned.  They will always be better.  I have a Father in Heaven who loves me and cares about my small and simple life.  I know that I can always have the help he has promised those who seek Him.  All I have to do is look up.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Confessions of an Unlikely Teacher

Most of the choices I have had to make in my life have been between right and wrong, or a selection of one option among many.  I haven't often been required to make choices of elimination where I have two great things, but must sacrifice one in order to keep the other.   When I made the decision to apply to BYU, it was an easy choice.  I could choose any university I wanted, but that was the only one I had interest in.  I had always wanted to go there.  My best friends all wanted to go there.  I applied early.  I was accepted.  It was great.  I was anxious of course to know whether I would get in or not, but I never had to act on my back-up plans.   My choice to go on a mission was a little more tricky, but still obvious.  I had wanted to serve a mission from the time I was 15, and although other opportunities presented themselves along the way, like school and boys, when the time came, there wasn't much to think about.  I had always known it was a good choice to mak

Music

" We get nearer to the Lord through music than perhaps through any other thing except prayer." -J. Reuben Clark, 1936 I believe that is true.  The majority of my most significant life events, especially those that have increased my testimony, have had something to do with music.  Take a peek at some of my favorites. Perfect Love I Know That My Redeemer Lives O Come, O Come, Emmanuel Nearer My God to Thee Nessun Dorma Don't Give Up Hourglass Come Thou Fount As I Am My Kindness Shall Not Depart From Thee He (II) Rob Gardner A Little More Like Thee

Spinning

I spend two nights each week in a class on one of these bad boys. During tonight's class, my mind was wandering from one mental tangent to another.  I was thinking about the events of the day, the people I had met, the articles and blogs I had read.  I was focused and working hard physically, but my mind was free to roam at will.  As I looked around at the other people in the class, I saw determination, fear, awkward ambition, insecurity, pride, energy, desperation, focus, and many other emotions.  Most nights I tend to compare myself to the two class members on either side of me.  I watch their RPMs sneakily out of the corner of my eye, and try to always stay a few higher.  I peek at the miles they have traveled and try to beat them.  Hopefully you're not one of my spin bike stalk-ees. :)      Toward the end of the workout, our instructor has us do intervals.  We start with a 3 minute interval giving it all we've got with a 1 minute recover.  Then the times decreas