Skip to main content

I am not an atheist

I worry too much.

Someone once told me that worry is just another form of atheism.  This is a very strange stage of life for David and me...especially me.  I am freaking out because I am transitioning from being a workin' girl to a stay-at-home mama, while David is much more stylishly freaking out about what to do with his life and what to be when he grows up.  It is hard for me to give up my income and to say, "Good luck, honey!  I know you can do it!" because it is still so uncertain right now.  I push the whole seminary thing maybe more than David wants it because to me, it looks like immediate security for a few years to pay of loans and have medical insurance taken care of.  He is always working on other ideas though and I don't know that he really wants to take that route.  It was my idea in the first place, not his passion.  It is hard for me to just trust that we will be okay financially, even if things are slow at first and we have to be more careful.  Why is it so hard?  I have come to the conclusion however, that things are going to work out.  They always do.  I always worry and doubt it, but things ALWAYS work out.  I worry about how we are going to pay for things...but guess what?  Whether I worry about it or not...the money is always there somehow.  David is a smart boy and he is going to be successful.  I make fun of him because instead of doing his accounting homework or lesson planning, I catch him doing things like updating our piano website, or reading piano teaching blogs, or searching for new piano games and music online.  He is going to make money no matter what.  It might as well be doing the thing he spends all of his time thinking about and working on anyway. I watched this the other day and it really struck me.
This life is very uncertain, but that is the beauty, isn't it?  We are the architects of our own destiny.  We get to  choose how things work out.  While all of our plans will not work the way we hope, when we choose to do what we love, and when we allow God to guide us, life is a beautiful thing. In the end, what does it matter how we earn the money we live off of?  It really doesn't.  What matters is how we live off the money we earn.  


President McKay said, Let me assure you, Brethren, that some day you will have a personal Priesthood interview with the Savior, Himself.  If you are interested, I will tell you the order in which He will ask you to account for your earthly responsibilities.

First, He will request and accountability report about your relationship with your wife.  Have you actively been engaged in making her happy and ensuring that her needs have been met as an individual?

Second, He will want an accountability report about each of your children individually.  He will not attempt to have this for simply a family stewardship, but will request information about your relationship to each and every child.

Third, He will want to know what you personally have done with the talents you were given in the pre-existence.

Forth, He will want a summary of your activity in your church assignments.  he will not be necessarily interested in what assignments you have had, for in his eyes the home teacher and a mission president are probably equals, but He will request a summary of how you have been of service to your fellowmen in your church assignments.

Fifth, He will have no interest in how you earned you living, but if you were honest in all you dealings.

Sixth, He will ask for an accountability on what you have done to contribute in a positive manner to your community, state, country, and the world."
So, there I have it.  David does all of these things wonderfully.  He is a good man.  He treats me like a queen, he is an amazing father, he has more talents than most people I know and works hard to have them, he is a diligent Elder's quorum president who I can see truly cares about those he serves, he is honest in everything he does, and he tries to make a difference.  What in the world am I worrying about?  It's going to work out.  What am I talking about?!  It has already worked out.  Worrying is over.  I am not an atheist.  

Comments

  1. I was having a deja vu moment there for a second- remember when we would carpool together, and I told you how hard it was for me to imagine moving with Brandon to California before he got a job, and how worried I was? It's interesting to look back on it now. And even though we did live with his parents, and the transition was a bit tough, I am SOOOOO grateful that we are where we are, and that Brandon loves his job so much. I couldn't see it then, but it was good that I had a good friend who told me to trust in my husband and the Lord. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's funny to look back on things and see how far we come. Those were good times. :) I am so glad that life just keeps getting better!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting :)

Popular posts from this blog

Confessions of an Unlikely Teacher

Most of the choices I have had to make in my life have been between right and wrong, or a selection of one option among many.  I haven't often been required to make choices of elimination where I have two great things, but must sacrifice one in order to keep the other.   When I made the decision to apply to BYU, it was an easy choice.  I could choose any university I wanted, but that was the only one I had interest in.  I had always wanted to go there.  My best friends all wanted to go there.  I applied early.  I was accepted.  It was great.  I was anxious of course to know whether I would get in or not, but I never had to act on my back-up plans.   My choice to go on a mission was a little more tricky, but still obvious.  I had wanted to serve a mission from the time I was 15, and although other opportunities presented themselves along the way, like school and boys, when the time came, there wasn't much to think about.  I had always known it was a good choice to mak

Music

" We get nearer to the Lord through music than perhaps through any other thing except prayer." -J. Reuben Clark, 1936 I believe that is true.  The majority of my most significant life events, especially those that have increased my testimony, have had something to do with music.  Take a peek at some of my favorites. Perfect Love I Know That My Redeemer Lives O Come, O Come, Emmanuel Nearer My God to Thee Nessun Dorma Don't Give Up Hourglass Come Thou Fount As I Am My Kindness Shall Not Depart From Thee He (II) Rob Gardner A Little More Like Thee

"I call redo!"

Anytime we made mistakes playing games or doing anything really, as little kids (especially playing 4-square), we would yell, "I call redo!"  This was the all-inclusive, error-erasing phrase that could never be contested, and always allowed one the chance to try again.  You could use this phrase in many circumstances: when you messed up yourself, or when others messed up in a way that gave you a disadvantage.  Either way, it was a saving grace throughout my childhood. Well, today, I call redo. Earlier this week, I posted about my thoughts on the "Wear pants to church" controversy that people were talking about all over Facebook and in the news.  I had one friend who helped me to see that I hadn't really considered all sides of the story.  I am grateful for the time she took to point out some of my unjust and partly ignorant thinking. Just because someone participated in, or even initiated this event did not mean that she was demanding to be given the Pries