Skip to main content

January

This year I decided not to make any New Year's resolutions.  Mostly because I don't understand my new life yet.  My idea of success has drastically changed in recent months, and I don't even know what I have any desire to achieve yet.  Some days, moving from plaid PJs to yoga pants is a great success.  Other days, I feel like I am doing pretty well in the world if I actually step outside of my apartment.  I have some normal days too, where I interact with other speaking humans.  Those days are money.  So, I decided to just resolve to be healthy, happy, and better than I was last year.  I still don't really know what that means yet, but I am working on it every day.

One thing that David and I have undertaken together is a fitness program on campus.  It's a spoof off of Biggest Loser, and we are on competing teams.
My fellow blue teammates seem fun enough and our trainers are little blonde 20-year-old babies.  I forget how much older I am than the average college student sometimes.  Friday night, we attended the opening ceremonies and met our teams, trainers, and nutritionists.  Tonight will be our first official team workout.  Is it weird that I am kind of nervous?  I feel like it's the first day of PE all over again.  The panic of not wanting to be the last one, or the one who couldn't make a basket.  I don't want to be that girl. :)  I never considered myself an athlete.  I dreaded feeling dumb because I couldn't measure up.  But this is not really about the competition.  At the opening ceremonies, the director of the program (a skinny twig-of-a-dude) told us about how everyone faces their own challenges in this life.  He is directing this program for the fifth semester, not because he has ever had weight problems.  Quite the contrary.  When he was twelve, he was diagnosed with Hodgkin Lymphoma.   He showed us some pictures and told us how hard chemotherapy was.  He told us his story to show that you can look at anyone around you and think that you have it harder than they do.  He looks like a perfectly healthy RM, ready to take on anything.  No one could guess the struggle he has been through by merely looking at him.  He talked about how our bodies are amazing temples built to house the spirit.  As he was going through the worst parts of chemo, he said it was extremely difficult to feel the spirit.  He was always on so many drugs, and his body was not functioning the way it was meant to.  He compared this to being overweight.  Our bodies are not designed to be sluggish or burdened by excess fat.  Just like going through chemo, it is harder to feel the spirit when our bodies are not in a healthy state, regardless of the cause.  By participating in this program, I obviously hope to lose the baby fat, gain endurance, and become more physically fit.
I had never correlated physical health with capacity to feel the spirit in my life before.  I am glad our director brought this to my attention, and I can make it a goal to increase that ability as well.

The Word of Wisdom promises us spiritual blessings for physical health, so I don't know why I have never considered the reverse to be true.  If we don't have physical health, we can't receive those spiritual blessings as well. We are promised wisdom and hidden treasures of knowledge.  Perhaps, being unhealthy diminishes our ability to perform to our best mental capacity.

Elder Packer said, "The Word of Wisdom does not promise you perfect health, but it teachers how to keep the body you were born with in the best condition and your mind alert to delicate spiritual promptings...Surely the Word of Wisdom was given so that you may keep the delicate, sensitive, spiritual part of your nature on proper alert.  Learn to 'listen' to your feelings.  You will be guided and warned and taught and blessed...Your young dreams can be realized.  All of your worth, natural physical and emotional desires can be satisfied.  You can find a companion to whom you can offer a body free from addiction, from depressants, from stimulants, and a mind sensitive to spiritual guidance and impressions."

So, one of my primary goals in this program is to gain more of the spirit in my life. :)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Confessions of an Unlikely Teacher

Most of the choices I have had to make in my life have been between right and wrong, or a selection of one option among many.  I haven't often been required to make choices of elimination where I have two great things, but must sacrifice one in order to keep the other.   When I made the decision to apply to BYU, it was an easy choice.  I could choose any university I wanted, but that was the only one I had interest in.  I had always wanted to go there.  My best friends all wanted to go there.  I applied early.  I was accepted.  It was great.  I was anxious of course to know whether I would get in or not, but I never had to act on my back-up plans.   My choice to go on a mission was a little more tricky, but still obvious.  I had wanted to serve a mission from the time I was 15, and although other opportunities presented themselves along the way, like school and boys, when the time came, there wasn't much to think about.  I had always known it was a good choice to mak

Music

" We get nearer to the Lord through music than perhaps through any other thing except prayer." -J. Reuben Clark, 1936 I believe that is true.  The majority of my most significant life events, especially those that have increased my testimony, have had something to do with music.  Take a peek at some of my favorites. Perfect Love I Know That My Redeemer Lives O Come, O Come, Emmanuel Nearer My God to Thee Nessun Dorma Don't Give Up Hourglass Come Thou Fount As I Am My Kindness Shall Not Depart From Thee He (II) Rob Gardner A Little More Like Thee

"I call redo!"

Anytime we made mistakes playing games or doing anything really, as little kids (especially playing 4-square), we would yell, "I call redo!"  This was the all-inclusive, error-erasing phrase that could never be contested, and always allowed one the chance to try again.  You could use this phrase in many circumstances: when you messed up yourself, or when others messed up in a way that gave you a disadvantage.  Either way, it was a saving grace throughout my childhood. Well, today, I call redo. Earlier this week, I posted about my thoughts on the "Wear pants to church" controversy that people were talking about all over Facebook and in the news.  I had one friend who helped me to see that I hadn't really considered all sides of the story.  I am grateful for the time she took to point out some of my unjust and partly ignorant thinking. Just because someone participated in, or even initiated this event did not mean that she was demanding to be given the Pries