Skip to main content

Be a Little Bolder

Yesterday was the annual General Conference for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.  When General Conference comes around, I usually set a hundred goals for what I need to do better and how I can apply every little thing they speak about.  This time however, I tried to just get a general picture of what I need in my life.  What will affect me the most right now and have the biggest impact on my family if I apply it?  I noticed that a lot of the talks were geared toward the family and recent political debates about it.  Nothing specific was addressed regarding any particular group, or the supreme court finding the need to step into matters they probably shouldn't, but there seemed to be a few overarching ideas that I found helpful when I don't know how to respond to things going on in the world. I took away these main ideas: 

-The family is sacred, eternal, and created by God with His specific purposes in mind.  It is something that must be nurtured, defended, and strengthened at all times.


-Perfection is the goal, but the way we live every day is what's important right now.


-Regardless of the way the world is going, it is important to live by faith, defend and seek truth, and seek to do the will of God.


-I can be more proactive in the things I do each day from being more of an on-purpose mom to standing up for righteousness even when it might make me seem intolerant or politically incorrect.


-I can do more to share the gospel with others.


These are some of the quotes that stuck with me the most:


"Tolerance is a virtue, but like all virtues, when exaggerated it transforms itself into a vice.  We need to be careful of the 'tolerance trap' so that we are not swallowed up in it.  The permissiveness afforded by the weakening of the laws of the land to tolerate legalized acts of immorality does not reduce the spiritual consequences that result from the violation of God's law of chastity." 
-Boyd. K. Packer


"The same priesthood power that created worlds, galaxies and universes can and should be a part of our lives to succor, strengthen and bless our families and our neighbors--in other words, to do the things the Savior would do if He were ministering among us today."
-M. Russell Ballard

"We are under covenant both to lift up those in need and to be witnesses of the Savior as long as we live...As you bind up the wounds of those in need and offer the cleansing of His Atonement to those who sorrow in sin, the Lord's power will sustain you.  His arms are outstretched with yours to succor and bless the children of our Heavenly Father including those in your family."
-Henry B. Eyring

"Many voiced from the world in which we live tell us we should live at a frantic pace.  Yet, deep inside each of us is a need to have a place of refuge where peace and serenity prevail...The ideal place for that peace is within the walls of our own homes."
-Richard G. Scott

"Don't rationalize away future happiness by taking shortcuts instead of applying sound gospel principles.  Remember: little things lead to big things."
-Richard G. Scott

"When we obey the commandments of the Lord and serve His children unselfishly, the natural consequence is power from God: power to do more than we can do by ourselves."
-Richard G. Scott

"...living an obedient life, firmly rooted in the gospel of Jesus Christ, provides the greatest assurance for peace and refuge in our homes.  There will still be plenty of challenges or heartaches, but even in the midst of turmoil, we can enjoy inner peace and profound happiness. "
-Richard G. Scott

"...our relationships with other people, our capacity to recognize and act in accordance with truth, and out ability to obey the principles and ordinances of the gospel of Jesus Christ are amplified through our physical bodies...Simply stated, there are lessons we must learn and experiences we must have as the scriptures describe, 'according to the flesh.'"
-David A. Bednar


"God's light is real.  It is available to all.  It gives life to all things...It can illuminate the path before us and  lead us through the darkest night into the promise of a new dawn."
-Deiter F. Uchtdorf

"Spiritual light cannot be discerned by carnal eyes."
-Deiter F. Uchtdorf


"We don't have to wait to cross the finish line to receive God's blessings."
-Deiter F. Uchtdorf

"I promise you as you pray to know with whom to speak, names and faces will come into your mind.  Words to speak will be given in the very moment you need them.  Opportunities will open to you.  Faith will overcome doubt and the Lord will bless you with your very own miracles."
-Neil L. Andersen

"...terrific marriages are completely respectful, transparent, and loyal."
-L. Whitney Clayton

"We must not pick and choose which commandments we think are important to keep, but acknowledge all of God's commandments."
-L. Tom Perry

"Secularism is becoming the norm, and many of its beliefs and practices are in direct conflict with those that were instituted by the Lord Himself for the benefit of His children."
-L. Tom Perry

"The knowledge which we seek, the answers for which we yearn, the strength which we desire today to meet the challenges of a complex and changing world can be ours when we willingly obey the Lord's commandments."
-Thomas S. Monson

"I would say to all who wish for more faith, remember this man. In moments of fear or doubt or toubling times, hold the ground you have already won, even if that ground is limited...I am not asking you to pretend to have faith you do not have.  I am asking you to be true to the faith you do have.
-Jeffrey R. Holland

"...imperfect people are all God has ever had to work with.  That must be terribly frustrating to Him, but He deals with it.  So should we."
-Jeffrey R. Holland

"Some model themselves after worldly ways because, as Jesus said of some whom He taught, they 'love the praise of men more than the praise of God.' These failures to follow Christ are too numerous and too sensitive to list here.  They range all the way from worldly practices like political correctness and extremes in dress and grooming to deviations from basic values like the eternal nature an function of the family."
-Dallin H. Oaks

"Following Christ is not a casual or occasional practice, but a continuous commitment and way of life that applies at all times and in all places.
-Dallin H. Oaks

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Confessions of an Unlikely Teacher

Most of the choices I have had to make in my life have been between right and wrong, or a selection of one option among many.  I haven't often been required to make choices of elimination where I have two great things, but must sacrifice one in order to keep the other.   When I made the decision to apply to BYU, it was an easy choice.  I could choose any university I wanted, but that was the only one I had interest in.  I had always wanted to go there.  My best friends all wanted to go there.  I applied early.  I was accepted.  It was great.  I was anxious of course to know whether I would get in or not, but I never had to act on my back-up plans.   My choice to go on a mission was a little more tricky, but still obvious.  I had wanted to serve a mission from the time I was 15, and although other opportunities presented themselves along the way, like school and boys, when the time came, there wasn't much to think about.  I had always known it was a good choice to mak

Music

" We get nearer to the Lord through music than perhaps through any other thing except prayer." -J. Reuben Clark, 1936 I believe that is true.  The majority of my most significant life events, especially those that have increased my testimony, have had something to do with music.  Take a peek at some of my favorites. Perfect Love I Know That My Redeemer Lives O Come, O Come, Emmanuel Nearer My God to Thee Nessun Dorma Don't Give Up Hourglass Come Thou Fount As I Am My Kindness Shall Not Depart From Thee He (II) Rob Gardner A Little More Like Thee

Spinning

I spend two nights each week in a class on one of these bad boys. During tonight's class, my mind was wandering from one mental tangent to another.  I was thinking about the events of the day, the people I had met, the articles and blogs I had read.  I was focused and working hard physically, but my mind was free to roam at will.  As I looked around at the other people in the class, I saw determination, fear, awkward ambition, insecurity, pride, energy, desperation, focus, and many other emotions.  Most nights I tend to compare myself to the two class members on either side of me.  I watch their RPMs sneakily out of the corner of my eye, and try to always stay a few higher.  I peek at the miles they have traveled and try to beat them.  Hopefully you're not one of my spin bike stalk-ees. :)      Toward the end of the workout, our instructor has us do intervals.  We start with a 3 minute interval giving it all we've got with a 1 minute recover.  Then the times decreas